Spartan issued an email yesterday detailing some advisories for the upcoming Boston Super. The weather is set to be extremely hot and the warning is well deserved. After the debacles at Palmerton, Spartan has put one foot in front of the other and started the journey towards proactive responsibility.
For those of you that are running, please make sure you are prepared for the upcoming race and weather. Weather.com (TWC) has issued a heat advisory for Friday from 11AM to 7PM and the temperatures are expected to remain for the weekend. Please spread the word. Don’t count on Spartan to allow filling of hydration systems at water stations.
Also, volunteers are volunteers, do not berate them for following instructions. They have no idea how much water Spartan has at the venue and are not responsible. They are volunteering…
HEAT ADVISORY FROM 11AM EDT FRI UNTIL 7PM EDT FRI
- LOCATIONS… INCLUDE NORTHERN CONNECTICUT… NORTHERN AND CENTRAL RHODE ISLAND… AND MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE CONNECTICUT VALLEY TO THE EAST COAST EXCEPT FOR THE SOUTH COAST.
- HEAT INDEX VALUES… UP TO 103 DUE TO TEMPERATURES 90 TO 95… AND DEWPOINTS IN THE LOWER 70S.
- TIMING… THROUGH 11 AM TO 7 PM ON FRIDAY.
- IMPACTS… EXCESSIVE HEAT MAY LEAD TO HEAT RELATED ILLNESSES. TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK… THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE IS AN EMERGENCY… CALL 9 1 1.
A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS… STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM… STAY OUT OF THE SUNSHINE… AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.
TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS… IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN POSSIBLE… RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.
The details of the email are as follows:
Race day is almost here. It is predicted to be extremely hot this weekend of our Boston Super Weekend event.
For everyone’s safety and to ensure an enjoyable race experience, we HIGHLY recommend the following:
START HYDRATING. NOW.
- We STRONGLY recommend that all racers carry a hydration source of at least 32 oz AND an electrolyte source.
- Do NOT race shirtless. Besides protecting you from the sun, a wet shirt can provide a cooling effect.
- Racers should begin hydrating at least 48 hours prior to the race and drink plenty of clear fluids the morning of the race.
- It is HIGHLY recommended that all racers wear a light/thin brimmed hat to protect their head from the sun.
- Wear waterproof sunscreen. If you have concerns about competing in the event, you should consult your physician.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of symptoms that you may experience due to the high temperatures:
- Muscle cramps
The following is a non-exhaustive list of symptoms that should be addressed immediately if experiencing them while racing:
- Dizziness, confusion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Altered mental state
If you experience any of these symptoms please see a Spartan staff member on site. The safety of our customers is paramount, and we strongly encourage you to follow the above advice and take all necessary precautions to ensure you have a fun and safe experience at our event.
AROO!! – Spartan Race Team