While running is one of the best things you can do to prepare for an obstacle race, you cannot forget about the rest of your body. Building strength in key areas will help you gain the additional strength required to overcome an obstacle. In today’s Exercise of the Week, I am going to cover an underrated shoulder exercise known as the Cuban Press.
The Cuban Press works the smaller, internal muscles within the shoulder that controls the rotation shoulder and the joint. If you think about what this action does in relation to an obstacle, this would be hoisting yourself up a wall and using your arms / shoulders to rotate the rest of your body up and over. The movement is simple and the exercise can be done nearly anywhere.
Exercise Complexity: Beginner
Required Equipment: EZ Curl Bar or Dumbbells.
- Stand with your feet spread apart, keeping your body upright and back straight.
- Engage your core and keep your head forward
- Hold either your dumbbells or your EZ Curl Bar and your side
- Perform and upright row to a point where elbows form a 90 degree angle and the weights are hanging down
- Rotate your arms so that your hands are facing upwards, in a Military Press position
- Perform a Military Press, extending your arms upright without locking your elbows
- Reverse and repeat.
Disclaimer: The exercises contained within are tips and only tips. We are not responsible for injury due to performing this or any other exercise. Please use caution and understand your body’s own limitations.